Thursday, January 27, 2011

If This Sounds Weird, That's Because It is.

I don't know why, but I love seagulls. I loved them when I was little.


I've taken so many pictures of them through the years growing up.


For my birthday a month ago, my sweet boyfriend took me to this place on Lake Erie where millions of them congregate during cold winter days. I've driven by this spot on the Shore Way since I was a little girl and have always wanted to stop, but never have. The day was simply lovely.


I even bought a vintage shot of them after stumbling upon it at a local antique shop.


I get that they're not the most obviously beautiful creatures. And I know they're dirty and considered a pest to most. But when a giant flock of them takes flight, I can't help but be mesmerized by the sight.

Imagine how happy I was when I finally got my hands on a sample of this fabric by Thom Filicia at Calico Corners (also for Kravet).

(via House Beautiful)


From far away, it simply looks like a graphic pattern. It's not until a closer inspection it reads as seagulls. And they're not garish or cheezy. Just beautiful and subtle seagulls.

I found a set of four chairs for my dining room this past summer and they're still in the same sad condition I found them - covered in a dreadful red velvet, but at $5 a chair, I couldn't resist. I hadn't been able to decide what fabric I wanted to cover them in. I was looking for something that had personality but was neutral at the same time. This fabric seems to fit the bill perfectly. Finally they'll be refurbished and looking good as new.



Now I'm off to return the seagull sample and place my order!

(Images property of A Thousand Laughing Starfish)

1 comment:

  1. Those chairs are amazing! How did I miss this post before?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...